The process of moving a site or part of it from an existing virtual place to a new one.
The migration of a web site is the process of moving all the files involved from one virtual place to another, being a virtual place the account and its directories and folders on a hosting server.
The migration may happen between two different hosting places, two servers on the same hosting place or two folders on the same account.
The technical process usually involves the next steps, the list is not exhaustive and may vary depending on site, server, hosting place, if only part of the site is being moved, etc. It's assumed that all the administrative steps have been taken care of.
The migration if for old site, hosted on old server, accesses with old IP address
- Copy all the files from the old server to the new server
- Test the site on the new server using the new IP address
- Update DNS records from old IP address to new IP address
- Set 301 redirects on old server to new server IP address
- Test the site on the new server using the site's name (URL not the IP address)
- Delete files on the old server
Usually, you will find all the necessary information for the migration on the new hosting company help system.