For anyone having issues accessing cpanel accounts via IPADDRESS/~USERNAME -- I recently bought a new Gen 4 VPS from Godaddy (April 2020). I got 404 errors when I went to access new account. After I enabled mod_userdir, I was able to see the root of the account, but was unable to install Wordpress via Installatron. I kept getting another 404 error, claiming that the URL couldn't be validated for this IP address (except I was trying to install it on the IP address, not an actual domain name).
I paid for a phone support ticket with cPanel.net directly. The tech I worked with solved it in about 20 minutes. He said these setups are extremely temperamental, and you need to have the settings just right.
Here's what we did - I hope this helps someone else:
- mod_userdir must be enabled: Security Center > Apache mod_userdir Tweak > Enable mod_userdir Protection = checkbox > Save
- mbstring is a non-default php extension that must be enabled: EasyApache > Currently Installed Packages > Customize > PHP Extensions > (search) mbstring > install/enable (for all versions of php you are using) > review > provision
- Mod_ruid2 must be disabled: EasyApache > Currently Installed Packages > Customize > Apache Modules > (search) mod_ruid2 > uninstall/disable > review > provision
- suphp must be installed: EasyApache > Currently Installed Packages > Customize > Apache Modules > (search) suphp > install/enable > review > provision
- CGI cannot be used, you must use SUPHP
In WHM > Software > MultiPHP Manager > PHP Handlers Tab > Edit from CGI to SUPHP for all versions of PHP you're using
Those are all the steps we went through. After each step the tech discovered something else that needed to be done, until finally after step 5 we were all set.