I run a 2 Shopify stores with SSL enabled (one for the UK and one for Ireland) and have recently implemented
hreflang tags as the content is broadly similar on both sites, bar prices and some region specific content.
Since activating SSL, Search Console has been throwing errors stating a number of URLs have 'no return tags':
Interestingly, all of the 'alternate URLs' are actually for the non-SSL version of the site.
My steps thus far:
- Added the 4 variants of both sites to search console (http / https, www / bare)
- Added both www and bare versions of each domain to their respective Shopify stores
- Enabled the Redirect all traffic to this domain option in both stores, selecting the www option.
- Enabled SSL in both stores
hreflangtags in the Liquid templates (you can see an example by viewing the source of this page
- Checked that Shopify is doing a 301 redirect, not 302, from non-SSL to SSL (it is).
- Resubmitted the homepages for indexing via Fetch as Google, then submitting the link and all its direct links
I'm at a loss here as to whether I've coded the
hreflang tags wrong, if Google is being slow to pick up on changes, or if Shopify is doing something weird.