I'm usually over on StackOverflow but I've inherited the maintenance of a newish website from a developer and have an optimisation question. I'm dealing with a small online shop, selling high-end scissors to hairdressers. I can deal with any technical issues I'm not experienced enough in SEO and not sure what to do about the following issue.
It's a pretty standard Woocommerce setup, except for some reason the client and original developer used categories for scissor size (5 sizes), manufacturer and type (left handed, cutting, etc). So the website has many times more products listed than it would do if simple product attributes were used instead.
The following type of structure would make sense to me
- Product 1, e.g. website.com/yasaka-thinning-scissors
- Product 2, e.g. website.com/yamato-thinning-scissors
However, because there is a product for each size the URLs are like the following:
- Product 1 - Size 1, e.g.website.com/yasaka-thinning-scissors-5-inch
- Product 1 - Size 2 e.g.website.com/yasaka-thinning-scissors-5.5-inch
- Product 1 - Size 3 e.g.website.com/yasaka-thinning-scissors-6-inch
- Product 1 - Size 4 e.g.website.com/yasaka-thinning-scissors-6.5-inch
- Product 1 - Size 5 e.g.website.com/yasaka-thinning-scissors-7-inch
- Product 2 - Size 1 e.g.website.com/yasaka-thinning-scissors-5-inch
- Product 2 - Size 2 e.g.website.com/yasaka-thinning-scissors-5.5-inch
- Product 2 - Size 3 e.g.website.com/yasaka-thinning-scissors-6-inch
- Product 2 - Size 4 e.g.website.com/yasaka-thinning-scissors-6.5-inch
- Product 2 - Size 5 e.g.website.com/yasaka-thinning-scissors-7-inch
and so on
My understanding is that this is splitting up the link juice into 5 pages for each product, instead of just one. An additional problem is that the content for each sized product will be very similar and Google could claim it was duplicate. I'm no SEO expert so I am unsure as to how bad this really is.
I am thinking of dumping the current structure and building the sizes into a dropdown on the product page, like on Amazon and other shops. But the website has been up for 6 months with this structure and I'm wondering if it would cause more damage than good.
Anyone have an opinion on this?
Many thanks for reading!