We have the following properties in Google Webmaster Tools:
The old sitemap, ie. the HTTP
sitemap.xml which still exists on the website, is submitted through the
A new HTTPS sitemap has been created, which also needs to be submitted. The question is which property do I submit this new HTTPS sitemap to.
Also, please note:
- We have already done our 301 redirects from HTTP to HTTPS.
- We have already made all canonical URLs HTTPS
- Made sure all embeds on webpages are HTTPS.
- The new HTTPS sitemap is currently available to google by including in our robots.txt file.
- We are working under the assumption that for the next month, we need to submit both the HTTP and HTTPS sitemaps to google, to minimise loss in search rankings. And only after the new HTTPS sitemap has been indexed properly are we to remove the old HTTP sitemap.
- We have currently submitted the HTTPS sitemap using the same
www.example.comproperty, which is also where the HTTP sitemap is submitted from.
I have a feeling this is wrong, and I'm not sure how to proceed.
Nowhere in the google documentation (to my knowledge) do they mention which property to submit the new sitemap to.