I have a shared hosting account that I was using to check out various web applications (the account came with scriptaculo.us scripts that made for easy installation).
In the end I had installed about 5 different web apps into subdirectories on this hosting account. I should likely had deleted the web apps a couple of weeks ago because today I noticed that one of them was sending out spam email.
What I have done now is that I logged back into that hosting account and deleted:
- the MySQL DBs used by each web app
- the MySQL DB user accounts for each web app
- the web apps themselves (meaning the directories that contain the PHP/JS/CSS/etc files)
But now the crazy thing is that the web app directories for one of the applications keeps re-appearing. Most of the directories in this zombie web application are empty however. It looks like as shown in below screen shot:
The hosting account comes with a ClamAV® Virus Scanner (available through the cPanel) and after deleting everything I could I did a virus scan. The scan did not find anything.
The questions I wanted to ask are:
- Is there something I can do through cPanel to keep that zombie web application structure from re-appearing?
- Is there something I can do through cPanel to make sure no more spam is getting sent through this hosting account?