I'm having some strange characters show up on a site search using Google. I've gone through the WordPress files and could not find anything strange. Also ran a malware detect on the site. The WordPress version is the latest.
I'm looking for some guidance on where to check to figure this out.
Edit: I should also mention that the traffic and CPU usage on the site were quite high. As well, we did not actually see those characters on the pages.
When it was brought to my attention, I checked when Google cached the page, which was 8PM the night before, however, that morning there was nothing wrong with any page on the site.
As well, all of the pages showing up on the site search with the characters are valid pages.