Suppose an adult website adult.com has a copyrighted the trademark Adult™. Can anyone register adult.ooo or adult.xyz or registering the domain name adult with any extension would be an infringement of the trade mark of the registered user. Simply I mean to ask does registering one domain with .com extension and copyrighting it gives the owner copyright over all the extensions? Same question for non-regular keyword domains like facebook.com with facebook.ooo etc.
In broad strokes:
- You can't copyright a trademark:
- Copyright applies to creative works. You get copyright by creating.
- Trademarks have to be registered.
- "Adult" is (probably) too generic a term to be trademarkable.
- Registering a domain name is not the same as registering a trademark.
- Domain name registration is handled on a first come first served basis but can be be disputed. Ownership of trademarks and evidence that a domain name was registered in bad faith (e.g. to impersonate another site) are factors that are taken into account.