This week Google Analytics' accuracy has taken a nose dive from its already very low starting point with dozens of alleged single hit sessions per day on the home pages of most of my sites with the following characteristics:
- Source: direct
- User Type: New Visitor
- Service Provider: google inc.
- Network domain: 1e100.net
- Country: United States
- City: not set
- Browser: Chrome 40.0.2214.111
- OS: Macintosh Intel 10.10
- Screen resolution: not set
Like much of the sackload of referrer spam Google sees fit to let through each day, this traffic shows no sign of ever having visited my actual web server. It seems just like referrer spam without the referrer.
- a. Roll out yet more filters across each site, possibly targeting the screen resolution?
- b. Give up on GA in favour of some recommended alternative?
- c. Wait for Google to get bought by someone with experience in big data and pattern matching?