One of my superiors, (whom presumably doesn't understand much about SEO) thought that copying text from another website onto their website would cause their search results to come to the top of an SERP; My understanding is that it doesn't work like that. Last I checked it had to do with:
- Page titles
- Consistency of the website across pages
- Location of the entity and location of the searcher
- The Adwords that you purchase
- Number of incoming links
- How frequently it is updated with new content
- And somewhere waaay down there is the content of the page...
I've never heard of this duplicating of language, and it sounds to me more like a good way to get an even lower page rank on a SERP, since Google polices the internet both in an automated and unautomated fashion, am I correct?