I'm looking to segment users on my website by those who are logged in and those who are not, and I'm a bit confused as to how it will work out implementation-wise.
So my plan is:
- Create a user-level custom dimension called logged-in with two values yes and no.
- Create a custom DataLayer variable in GTM and ask my developer to push the logged-in state into the DataLayer.
- Push the Custom Dimension data into GA with a Universal Analytics tag (triggered by Pageview).
So, my question is as follows.
Let's consider this scenario:
- A user comes to my site on March 20th. Custom dimension set to no.
- The same user registers for an account on March 25th. Custom dimension value changed to yes.
Now I'll create a custom report with this custom dimension as a primary dimension with Users as the metric.
Now, consider I'm reporting for the custom report for the data range: March 20th to March 30th. Will the user fall into the yes bucket or the no bucket?
Same question for 20th to 24th: will the user fall into the yes bucket or the no bucket? As for 25th to 30th, obviously I think the user will fall into the yes bucket.