We are finishing a web-site for a bar that will have photos of drinking products like a can of Coca Cola, a bottle of Red Label, etc, since they are the products commercialized by the website owner at it's own bar.

Can these photos be published or do we need to contact each brand and ask for permission?

Note: Some photos were taken on the bar, others collected using a search engine and others came from a stock photos website.

  • 1
    Pretty darn sure that falls under fair use – John Conde Feb 18 '15 at 19:52
  • 1
    The Wikipedia page sums it up nicely. Basically its normal to see their stuff in a bar. As long as you aren't trying to directly capitalize on their trademark, etc, it's ok to use. – John Conde Feb 18 '15 at 20:14
  • 1
    others collected using a search engine trademarking issue wouldn't be an issue as John said about fair usage, however the majority of images found on Google search are copyrighted. If concerned you should hire a photographer, use stock images or creative commons images that can be found on Flickr and many other image sites. – Simon Hayter Feb 18 '15 at 20:44
  • 2
    The image regardless of whats in the image can be copyrighted. Your not infringing a trademark by displaying a image of the original item, the problem your face is a copyright issue. Most businesses will use stock images or hire a photographer. – Simon Hayter Feb 18 '15 at 21:41
  • 1
    There are sometimes limits in how a product can be displayed or used within marketing or other works. These limits can be found on most product websites, however, if you were to call their marketing department, I know they have the information handy for you. Having said that, I would not worry about limits if you are using an image or video within the normal constraints of day to day serving and enjoyment and do not promote secondary concerns such as "getting drunk" hence the "please enjoy responsibly" notices. Just be cool- and don't give then a reason to be upset. That is my point. – closetnoc Feb 18 '15 at 23:28

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.