I am trying to use Google Analytics to track various AdWords combinations. good old A/B testing :-)
The documentation isn't great, so I tried to set
utm_content to track the advert text. This didn't work - I eventually found (and have since demonstrated to myself) that this is because I had auto-tagging switched on in AdWords.
When I switch auto-tagging off, I can track individual ad text, but not things like keywords. Also every URL needs a lot of tag parameters which is difficult to manage.
Auto-tagging fills out all these tags automatically without the chance of error, and also adds additional tags which could be useful later. Great! The only problem is that it fills the
utm_content tag with the advert's title. I need finer tracking. For example I have two adverts in the same ad group with the same title but differences in the main ad text.
Is it possible to use auto-tagging and add a 'custom' tagging dimension, or to override