I've read some tutorials on transferring a WordPress site to another host, but I'm still confused about some of the steps for doing that in my situation.
I'm transferring my WP site from DreamHost to Arvixe hosting, and I plan for the domain name to remain the same. I do not want to transfer the DNS records until the website transfer is done and verified to work properly, to prevent extended downtime. So I am working off a temporary URL that Arvixe assigned to me, which is an IP address.
From what I gather there are these 3 steps for transfer:
- Transfer website files over into the root folder of my public_html directory.
- Export my WordPress DB from my old site. Then in my new site, create a DB and use import.
- Edit the wp-config.php file to reflect the new DB name, user, and password.
Is this correct? Do the steps have to be done in order?
I also have two questions:
- Do I need to run a WordPress install on my new site before doing any of those steps? Or by transferring the files and importing the DB, I have already done what is necessary to get WordPress up and running?
- How do I know what the MySQL password is? Looking at my wp-config.php for my old site, I see a password that I have never set by myself, but somehow it still works.