I have a client site with a unique name (not just the FQDN, but the company name that the site is for) that simply will not appear for Google searches using the company name. It's a very simple and small site with only 10 pages, and it has been live for over six months, albeit with no backlinks until the last couple of weeks. In this case we aren't concerned with competitive SEO, but simply to come up when users search Google for the company name. It has no competition for the same phrase, so it's not an optimization or competitive issue as far as we can tell.
What we've tried
- The name of the company is in the title tag on the home page, and many subpages.
- The name of the company is in the body copy on several pages.
- We've verified the site in Webmaster Tools, and submitted a sitemap, and requested that Google reindex the site after we've tried various content changes.
- We've verified that Google does have the pages in the index by querying with site:domain.com, which returns a list of all the pages we expect.
- We've verified that our robots.txt file is fine, which is just a stock Drupal robots.txt file. It's not excluding any meaningful content.
- We've verified that the site appears as expected when searching for the company name on other engines, such as Bing.
- We've gone through Webmaster tools looking for noted issues, such as HTML improvements. Nothing is suggested.
- We've backlinked the site from our agency portfolio, in the form of
<a href="domain.com">Company Name</a>.
What we've seen
- Webmaster tools consistently reports 0 indexed pages. I'm aware that this can have a significant delay component, but the site has been live for some time, and indexed for some time.
- When searching Google for an exact match (with quotes) on the company name, i.e. "company name", we only get three results, all of which are pages on our agency portfolio site that refer to the company site and project, but not the site itself.
- When I try an exact match search in Google for another phrase that appears in the body content on the site, the page appears as expected in results (as the only result, actually), confirming that the site is indeed indexed and that it does appear for other searches.
- Webmaster tools lists the components of the company name in the keywords list for the site.
- Webmaster Tools reports that the sitemap.xml file has been processed, with no reported issues. It also reports that all 10 pages referenced in the file have been indexed.
I've never seen this happen before, Google "just works" when it's a uniquely named site and you search for the unique name. The fact that an exact match only returns three results and not the site itself, which contains the same phrase in higher frequency, is very odd.
The domain is
www.silverstarrm.com. The company name is in the title tag on the home page. Of course we could "just wait longer", but it seems very odd that Google quickly picks up other changes we make to the content but it still won't list the site when you search for the most common phrase in the site, especially given that there is essentially zero competition for that phrase in Google's entire index.
Sorry for the wall of text, but I wanted to give as much useful context as I possibly could. Thank you!