I know of Google and Bing, but are there other places I can/should submit my sitemap.xml? And do they support pinging?


Outside of signing up for the various web master tools accounts, Bing, Google, Baidu, et. al., the robots.txt file can be used to generally announce the existence of a sitemap file. You use the following example in your robots.txt file which is possibly the best way to get the various search engines (generally speaking) to use your sitemap.

Sitemap: http://www.mysite.com/sitemap.xml

Some sites have a ping utility such as Bing and Google.

I have not seen any evidence that ping for Bing (poet and don't know it) works and the Google ping assumes a web master tools account. Somehow, I think the various ping utilities have fallen out of favor over the years.

Of course, I strongly recommend signing up for webmaster tools account for Bing, Google, and possibly Baidu but Baidu seems to weird about using sitemaps. Having a web master tools account does encourage these search engines to use your sitemap. For Google, creating a Google Search page ensures that your sitemap is read and the whole site spidered immediately and very fast.

  • Can the Sitemap URL in robots.txt be relative?
    – Svish
    Apr 29 '14 at 16:18
  • 3
  • Yes, relative sitemap URLs are not allowed "officially", however there is a comment from John Mueller on this Webmasters answer that suggests that Google does allow it. Although the following comment suggests that GWT throws a warning (?)
    – MrWhite
    Apr 29 '14 at 22:18
  • Honestly, since I seem to be a creature of habit (and a bit of the absent minded professor), I can remember that there was a good reason why I used the full URL in my sitemaps, but I could not remember why. And since I could not remember, I looked for the answer. Thanks for the info.
    – closetnoc
    Apr 29 '14 at 22:24

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.