So, for obnoxious reasons there is no way for me to change the URL of my website. I can't switch hosts—the content needs to be stored where it is—so the best solution I could think of was to set up a redirect page from a website with another host that has my desired domain name with the URL www.example.com.

But I saw this Go Daddy article about parking your domain name and it says that when you park your domain name a temporary webpage is created. Could I park my domain name and turn this temporary webpage into a redirect to my pre-existing site?

If I can't do that, how do I setup a redirect to my existing page? Do I just need to do something like set up a google sites page, register my domain, change the google sites page URL, and then make the home page a simple redirect? Is there any simpler process?

  • I have no experience purchasing or registering domain names, so I apologize if this question is in some ways confused. Any corrections or advice would be appreciated.
    – Dennis
    Jan 21 '14 at 15:33
  • 1
    Register your URL (domain name), then in your registrars domain settings, create a CNAME record pointing your new domain to your old domain.
    – Kruug
    Jan 21 '14 at 15:37
  • @Kruug And that will accomplish everything I need? If so, feel free to convert to an answer and I'll accept and get this guy closed.
    – Dennis
    Jan 21 '14 at 15:38
  • It should work, yes.
    – Kruug
    Jan 21 '14 at 16:09

Pointing a new URL to you old one is quite simple (this method is best used when you don't know the IP of your old URL, or it's a dynamic-based domain, such as DynDNS or a blogspot page).

First, register your domain/URL that you want to give out to people. Then, in that domain's settings, create a CNAME record that points to the old domain.

Wait for the TTL to elapse and your domain should now be routable.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.