We have a weird SEO issue;
In Google Webmaster Tools we are seeing a huge spike in Not Found Server Errors.
There are a set of several hundred dynamic pages which we need to maintain (though not have indexed) that look like this;
But weirdly Google is generating thousands of 404 crawl errors trying to index URLs with this structure;
There are no;
- Internal links pointing to this or similar
- External links that we can find pointing to this or similar
- Errors in the sitemap.xml
In a possibly related development; the URL Parameters section of Webmaster Tools, it’s listing some really weird parameters like; /en-GB/pages/job-details.aspx Which clearly is actually a chunk of the URL.
We have tried excluding this and the ‘job-id’ parameter from Google by choosing Edit > Yes > No URLs Thought to no avail!
My questions are:
- Why would Google add a parameter mid-way through the URL and how do we stop it?
- Why would Google think that a chunk of the URL was a parameter and how do we stop it?
I’m pretty stuck on this, so your help is much appreciated!