My question revolves around average time on page and how Google Analytics calculates this metric.
I will provide an example to illustrate my question. I viewed 3 pages then exited.
- page one view time = 10 sec
- page two view time = 10 sec
- page three view time = 5 sec, then exit
- Is my total time on page 20 sec or 25 sec?
- would my page views be 3 or 2?
- Is my average time on page 10 sec or 8.33sec.
I ask because I pull time on page metric as part of my data pull and then I calculate Avg Time on Page in an Excel pivot.
I am wondering if my calculation for Average time on page should be:
AvgTimeOnPage = total time on page/total page views
AvgTimeOnPage = total time on page/(total page views-total exits)