Having a Google AdWords campaign of a daily budget less than 10€ ($13, £8.5), I had these:
- (1 campaign with 100% budget) x (3 ad groups) x (2 to 3 ads) = 40-60 clicks/day
- long list of keywords per ad group
- budget ends up being spent on the ad group with the highest traffic/competition
- (3 campaigns with 1/3 of budget) x (3 ad groups) x (3 to 4 ads) = 20 clicks/day
- less keywords per ad group but more closely related to the ads' purpose and phrasing, which summed up match and extend the keyword lists of Setup1
- all around performance dropped and in some cases a lot (i.e. clicks)
In specific to small campaigns, which I feel are not addressed as much by most guides I found around the web:
- My assumption for the above is that the main reason for the drop in performance of Setup2 is the extremely low budget. Even though generic and simplistic, is this correct?
- How can I best manage the budget, so that it is spent more universally or up to a specific limit for each ad group?
- Finally, does anyone have any suggestions specific for campaigns of this level?