Can I recover the backend password for Joomla 2.5?
No - Joomla! does not store the password.
It stores a hash of the password with a salt.
We tend to do it manually, but I've heard that people have used the "Reset Admin Password" tool successfully.
To change a user password manually:
- Login to your database
- Select the database where Joomla is installed
- Select the table "Users"
- Choose the user you want to edit
- Click "Edit"
- Identify the "Password" field
- Choose "MD5" from the drop-down.
- Enter your new password.
- Press "OK" to save the changes.
[I can not post images because of a lack of reputation.]