I have recently registered a new .name domain. It is just myfirstname.name, something like nanda.name.

My debit card has been billed, but my domain control panel doesn't show any information regarding the new domain.

I have raised a ticket with their support and there is no response yet. It's been 3 days.

I checked some other registrars and almost all of them say that nanda.name is taken, but when I search whois either from my command line or the numerous whois web services, I get No match as answer each time.

What gives?

PS : I should add that this registrar's support is known to suck, which, by the time I found, is a bit late.

  • can you access the domain ? – Mohamed Anis Dahmani Nov 7 '12 at 22:08
  • No I cannot access the domain. It is not reachable at all. – Animesh Nov 8 '12 at 4:57
  • Please tell us the name of the registrar so we can avoid it! – Cyberherbalist Nov 8 '12 at 17:31
  • hehe, this is a good one Cyberherbalist :) – Mohamed Anis Dahmani Nov 8 '12 at 17:55
  • It is a popular-by-seo Indian web host. :p – Animesh Dec 19 '12 at 19:37

The official WHOIS server is whois.nic.name. Check your domain there. Other services might take some time until they're up to date (depending on their implementation).

Because you registered a second level name, you should pay attention that it is not listed as "shared" (otherwise only third level domain names could be registered).

  • What should be entered as a password to check my domain in whois.nic.name? – Animesh Nov 8 '12 at 4:59
  • Okay, password is only required in the Detailed results tab. I still get a No match result. – Animesh Nov 8 '12 at 5:02
  • The shitty host told me that the domain was in fact not registered properly and had refunded the amount, not to my bank account, but as e-balance, should I chose to purchase some other service. – Animesh Dec 19 '12 at 19:36

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.