What do I need to get from a webhoster if I want to host my own Diaspora* seed? Do I just need some webspace with ruby on rails capabilities?
The installation requirements from the Github page:
In order to run Diaspora, you will need to download the following dependencies (specific instructions follow):
- Build Tools - Packages needed to compile the components that follow.
- Ruby - The Ruby programming language. (We're using 1.8.7. It comes preinstalled on Mac OS X.)
- MongoDB - A snappy noSQL database.
- OpenSSL - An encryption library. (It comes preinstalled on Mac OS X and Ubuntu.)
- ImageMagick - An Image processing library used to resize uploaded photos.
- Git - The fast version control system.
After you have Ruby installed on your system, you will need to get RubyGems, then install Bundler:
- RubyGems - Source for Ruby gems.
- Bundler - Gem management tool for Ruby projects.
That is realistically beyond what your typical webhost will offer. (Git and even Ruby are non-standard for many webhosts. MongoDB? Get outta here...)
You might be better off with a VPS.
I am sorry I cannot answer your question directly, but one thing you need to consider is the security flaws this pre-alpha release of Diaspora* has: