Google SERPs have search results that appear in two different ways:

Single Search Result
Single Search Result

Single Search Result with Sitelinks
Single Search Result with Sitelinks

Are there official terms for these? I know that a "SERP" is Search Results Page, and I'm fairly certain that a single search result is just called a "search result". But what is a search result with Sitelinks called?

  • 3
    I thought it was just called a search result with sitelinks. I don't think it has any special name.
    – Noodles
    May 4, 2012 at 1:52

2 Answers 2


As far as I know the official term is just sitelinks. That's what google calls them: http://support.google.com/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&topic=8523&answer=47334. Also, here is a good article on the topic and they are called sitelinks as well. http://www.click-finders.com/blog/how-to-get-google-sitelinks-on-your-serp-listing/


It's really just called "search result" (the "bundle" without the sitelinks). The sitelinks are a nice feature, a quick introduction to important pages or categories of a site, if the algorithm worked well, but more an addon to the actual search result (you don't search for sitelinks, you search for results - pages).

What's more important is that there is much more than just site links that is "blended" into or is part of the search result, the concept of "Universal Search". Here is a nice summary on Search Engine Land about it. A lot of assets compete for attention, like images, videos, local information, news - and lately author images of the social web.

Which is nice, because being the number one is not so important anymore.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.