I have Google Analytics (GA) tracking set up for a number of websites, many I help friends with, did as consulting in the past, etc, and the one for the company I am working with now.
In this case, GA is reporting only about 5% of users using IE for my current site, where others are seeing around 40%.
The site works OK in IE, but it hasn't been our focus, since it's new and we're trying to do HTML 5 except where it really breaks things badly.
I could understand why a visitor might leave the site -- some fancier navigation and forms are kind of lame with IE8 or less (fine with IE9). But I am looking at pure visits.
I looked only at new visits -- people who have never seen the site before, and still a very small percentage of IE. I segmented out for just desktop users. I removed one large source of ad traffic. But all the numbers show the same thing -- low (5%) and falling IE usage over time. The site is public and useful for normal people, not geeks. We get a significant volume -- more than several thousand visits a day. And we have confirmed generally that GA is tracking usage approximately correctly by comparing to other tracking tools.
I am mystified. Any theories welcomed!