I get the folder with the following structure from my designer*:



Is there any tool which can automatically create sprite from images folder and replace all images references from file.css to appropriate sprite section?

*It is actually not a designer (the man who creates design in, for example, Photoshop) but the man who makes html+css from it. How is this profession correctly called in English?

  • Designer is still the correct term. – Peter Taylor Aug 30 '11 at 12:46
  • @Peter Taylor, in russian language we separate them into "дизайнер" (designer) and "верстальщик" (I would verbatim translate it as "markuper"). I am pretty sure there is the same separation in English – SiberianGuy Aug 30 '11 at 12:50
  • @Idsa a lot of the time the person who does the design makes the basic html markup of the site (at least in my experience). Anything complex will then be handed off to a "programmer". – Ryan Matthews Aug 30 '11 at 14:10
  • Front-end developer. onlinetools.org/articles/fed2.html – Osvaldo Aug 30 '11 at 14:48
  • You can have a 'designer' that literally just does the graphic design (in which case they are really a 'graphic designer') and a 'front end developer' that turns the design into HTML+CSS. But, depending on the company, these roles can merge. – MrWhite Aug 30 '11 at 14:49

There are various CSS sprite generators available online, including:

From my experience, the only way to generate CSS sprites while keeping file sizes down and maintaining control over compression is to do it manually.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.