Our site recently took a huge traffic hit that we can't attribute to anything. Is there a way to ask Google Analytics to compare traffic patterns and show any statistical changes between two timeframes? (Or 3rd party software)
How do I select and compare date ranges for my reports?
Google Analytics maintains at least 25 months of historical data for each site tracked using Google Analytics. You can easily view reports for any date range for which data exists. The date range selector at the top right of your report pages allows you to select a date range, and optionally to compare that range to another date range of your choosing.
Click the down arrow next to the date to access the date range selector. Once you've selected a new date range, click Apply Range to update your report.
To select a single date
- Click the Calendar tab and click any date on the calendar.
- From the Timeline tab, you can also drag the start or end slider to its smallest setting.
- Or, enter a single date in mm/dd/yyyy format in both fields of the Date Range section.
To select a specific week
- Click the Calendar tab and click the icon to the left of any calendar week.
To select a range of dates
- From the Calendar tab, click once on the desired start date, then click the end date. The selected days will be highlighted.
- The Timeline tab lets you drag the start and end date sliders to any desired date. Your selection will be displayed in the Date Range text boxes to the right of the timeline.
- You can also enter a start and end date in the Date Range fields, using mm/dd/yyyy format.
To compare two different ranges
Select the Compare to Past checkbox and follow the instructions above to select a date range. Change values in your reports will be calculated against the selected Compare to Past range.
Remember: once you've selected a new date range, click Apply Range to update your report