I am relatively new to Shopify, so maybe there is something I am not getting with the backend/crawlability but here goes. In my years of doing web copy and being conscious of on-page SEO, I haven't ever seen anything like this. I am a copywriter and was brought on to redo/optimize the content for a site that whose original content was in French and that was using a plug-in to translate it to English. The site has 400+ pages of completely new English content, URLs, alt text and a new theme all brought online at the same time.
Key points from before the change:
- Site content written in French translated to English by plug-in
- URLs in French
- Item titles not optimized
- Duplicate content everywhere (all products in a series had boilerplate content that was the same for every product)
- NO alt text in any image
Key points after the change:
- Site content now natively in English
- URLs in English
- Optimized item titles
- All content is unique for every page
- Optimized alt text provided for all images
Here's the kicker: There has been LITTLE TO NO POSITIVE CHANGE for English keyword rankings in Google after the change. They haven't gotten worse, but they haven't gotten perceptively better, either. How is this possible?