I know about captcha. However, often it is stated that captcha stops legitimate users due to the inconvenience. Are there other solution, that in particular look for pattern in the input similar to e-mail spamfilters, or for random sequences of letters? (In particular, a solution that works with drupal would be good).
Here are 3 ways I have seen to do this:
- One way - https://stackoverflow.com/questions/8472/practical-non-image-based-captcha-approaches.
- Another way - https://stackoverflow.com/questions/2475806/captcha-replacement
- Msft has even made a one with Ajax! http://www.asp.net/AJAX/AjaxControlToolkit/Samples/NoBot/NoBot.aspx
In general there are 3 "ways" to solve this:
- Make the user do something to prove they are human. CAPTCHA or anything like it where the user must do extra work.
- See how long it take the user to enter data. Computers are much faster at filling forms out.
- Obfuscate what inputs are being used for what in the HTML itself.
I think CAPTCHA ends up being the most effective and the most annoying for the user though.
I've heard of people putting fields in forms and then hiding them behind an image or div. Then when the form is submitted, if that 'hidden' field is filed out then they know it was filed out by a bot and not a human.
Obviously this method has drawbacks (particularly for the visually impaired) and I can't say I've ever implemented it myself.
For solutions like this, if you're using an existing content management system, always seek best-of-breed solutions for your specific tool. The plus is that usually these tools are straightforward to install and test and if they don't work, try others out. If I were in your shoes and would check out Mollom. Here's a description:
Mollom provides a one stop solution for all spam problems and can protect the following Drupal forms. It offers and intelligently combines:
- CAPTCHAs -- both image and audio CAPTCHAs
- text analysis
- user reputations
- block comment form spam
- block contact form spam
- protect the user registration form against fake user accounts
- protect the password request form
- block spam on any node form, such as forum topics, articles, stories, pages, and more