I need assistance with some issues on a Big Commerce site.
To preface, it is not my site and the IT team has a complex technology stack being utilized to build the site.
The issue is that adding an extra character in different areas of the URL structure (to create a URL that doesn't exist) produces different response codes. Examples:
- /shop/collection/women = 200 and valid page
- /Ashop/collection/women = 404
- /shop/Acollection/women = 500
- /shop/collection/Awomen = 200 but no content
My suggestion is to have any URL that does not exist return a 404 not found code. Their IT department set up their staging site to work like this:
My questions are:
- Is this correct? Can't the server just be configured to return a 404?
- Would a 200 then JS redirect to a 404 still inform search engines that the content is no longer there? Or since the 404 is associated with a different URL "/Notfound" it won't be useful?