My site before was only HTTP. I used that website for sharing public information with my friends. I like to post news that I want then share it to Facebook and when I post a link (HTTP link since my website is still HTTP) on Facebook, it pulls og tags correctly from my site.

Yesterday I just moved my site from HTTP to HTTPS by getting free CloudFlare SSL. I redirect my website to HTTPS and checked mixed content errors and there is none. Now, when I share any my posts (which is now HTTPS) on Facebook, it just shows my my domain name (example.com) for the title and the description instead of the og:title and og:description I specify in my meta tags.

My friend says that I have the og tags set currently in my site:

<title>My site</title>
<meta name="description" content="Example description" />
<meta name="robots" content="follow,index" />
<link rel="canonical" href="https://example.com/url-path/" />
<meta property="og:locale" content="en_US">
<meta property="og:type" content="article">
<meta property="og:title" content="Mysite">
<meta property="og:description" content="Example description">
<meta property="og:url" content="https://example.com/url-path/">
<meta property="og:site_name" content="MySite">
<meta property="article:publisher" content="https://www.facebook.com/examplefbpage">
<meta property="article:author" content="https://www.facebook.com/example">
<meta property="article:published_time" content="2019-09-14T11:49:14+00:00">
<meta property="article:modified_time" content="2019-09-19T02:39:08+00:00">
<meta property="og:updated_time" content="2019-09-19T02:39:08+00:00">
<meta name="twitter:card" content="summary_large_image">
<meta name="twitter:title" content="Mysite">
<meta name="twitter:description" content="Example description">
<meta name="twitter:site" content="@exampletwitteruser">
<meta name="twitter:creator" content="@exampletwitteruser">

How do I fix this? Is this could be an Facebook cache issue or something?


1 Answer 1


I will make the assumption that the screenshot in your post is the Facebook debugger tool found here: https://developers.facebook.com/tools/debug/sharing

The first thing that I notice is that you are being returned a response code of 0. You should be getting a response code of 200.

This prompted me to think it was a caching issue, so I checked the domain through Facebook social sharing debugger myself. This was my result:

Facebook Social Sharing Debugger Result

As you can see I received a response code of 503. Since you are coming from a migration from HTTP to HTTPS this most likely means that there is an issue with your hosting server(s).

I would begin with a ticket inquiring into the 503 response code to your hosting provider. Once this issue is sourced and resolved your OG image should populate as intended.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.