Consider the following scenario
- A user follows a UTM-tracked link to our website
utm_campaign=external-campaign (and for example
- During the registration process, the user is asked to confirm his email, and the link in the email includes again UTM tracking information
utm_campaign=registration-confirmation (and for example
What happens in Google analytics ? Is the user session recorded as belonging to the
external-campaign campaign, the
registration-confirmation campaign, or both ? And what are the recommendations regarding this ?
EDIT : our use case
Our user acquisition flow involves 3 steps with some specific mechanics
- A User
- (a) either follows a UTM tracked link to our website with an invitation code
- (b) OR discovers our website on his own (eg via google search) and lands without invitation code
- This user must fill-in a presubscription form that will eventually result in the user receiving an email with a link and a sign up token to finish the registration and add a password but
- (a) Those who came via the UTM link + invitation code, upon submitting the form, immediately receive the email
- (b) those who presubscribed without invitation code will only receive this email LATER (~1 day), because we need to check their form manually
Users coming from (a) start a session with an
utm_source=external_website, those from (b) start a session without UTM information
When we send the presubscription email in the link, we added a
utm_source=my-website that, according to the answers, would have for effect to start a NEW sessions for users (a) (and also for users (b) from what I infer) ?
What should be our best tracking strategy in this case ?