my name is Pierre Aribaut (Aribaut is the last name), i own aribaut.com but i didn't really use it yet, as i used to use my nickname as domain name. I'm thinking of using this domain name instead of my nickname zetrader, not to be restricted to the financial theme (talking a lot about health on my website zetrader could be seen as strange?). But before make the move, i'm asking myself what's better in terms of personal branding and seo : 1) aribaut.com 2) pierre.aribaut.com

What would you choose and why? Thanks for the answers,


closed as primarily opinion-based by John Conde Feb 17 at 21:39

Many good questions generate some degree of opinion based on expert experience, but answers to this question will tend to be almost entirely based on opinions, rather than facts, references, or specific expertise. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • What are you planning to rank for with a personal website? If it is just your fairly unique name, it isn't like there is going to be lots of competition. – Stephen Ostermiller Feb 17 at 20:21
  • I plan to talk a lot about health, dietetic, sport, aging... better use my real name as domain name than a domain name using my nickname zetrader, no? Or it doesn't matter? – zetrader Feb 17 at 21:09
  • The TLD .NAME should be exactly tailored to your needs: while it is not the case anymore (still possible but not mandatory), this TLD was selling only third level domain names. – Patrick Mevzek Feb 19 at 21:29

The first option is preferred in my experience. Subdomain generally ranks lower than domain, and requires additional dns records (and you have to own the first option to get the second)

  • Thank you, i already have both (1 and 2) , just wondering which one to use (and make the other one redirect to the one i'll use). – zetrader Feb 17 at 21:36
  • I suggest using the first. As to putting a redirect in, use cname records – colbycdev Feb 17 at 22:20

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.