I'm doing SEO work on an existing WordPress site for a client and I'm wondering if by linking a brand new Google Analytics tracking ID to their Google Search Console data if it will erase/destroy all the past historical data?
Here are the relevant details:
- The client had NO analytics accounts of any kind.
- I added their website as a new property in MY Google Search Console account.
- I created a new property (I think) tracking ID for their website in my Google Analytics account.
Now this is crucial to understand:
- Client has TONS of past historical data that showed up in Google Search Console, but ...
- Client has NO TRAFFIC WHATSOEVER showing up in Google Analytics
What I'm contemplating doing is this:
- Install the Monster Insights plugin using the new (and only) Google Analytics tracking ID
- Link the Google Analytics and Search Console accounts
- Watch as all the data in Google Search Console magically populates the Google Analytics account
I'm hoping this is how it works, but I wanted to reach out on here and ask first in case the opposite happens. If linking these two accounts erases all the historical data in both accounts that would be very bad!!!