I need a help with .com.au domain registration. I live in EU, so I’m not a citizen of Australia. In case to register this address, I need an Australian business number (ABN). I’m going to develop a simple website (without any kind of sales) and monetize it with Google Adsense. So, is it possible to get an ABN for a website like that and register .com.au address?


To get an ABN without having an Australian tax file number (TFN), you must provide:

proof of identity documents and a statement of your business activities in Australia.

ABN for businesses outside Australia - Australian Business Register

So if you are not living in Australia, not an Australian citizen and not running a business in Australia, you are out of luck in getting a .com.au domain.

  • Then maybe you know is there is a possibility of third party service for registration? – MykolasK Dec 4 '18 at 21:40
  • @MykolasK I don't know of any personally. There may or may not be a viable loophole. – Maximillian Laumeister Dec 4 '18 at 21:44
  • They are very strict on the .com.au registration. I'm from Australian and my sister had one for her shop, and it was still a pita for her to get it sorted out. – Bronwyn V Dec 9 '18 at 22:48

A foreign company can register a .com.au in Australia if it has eligibility. One way to obtain the right to apply for a .com.au is to obtain a trade mark. Once you file for the trade mark application you can apply for the domain name.

New contributor
Nicole Murdoch is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering. Check out our Code of Conduct.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.