Setup is as follows:
- Our agency's client's domain is
https://www.example.com(with SSL certificate from Amazon)
- They have NGINX severs, and manage their own hosting
- They want us to build a few simple pages on
example.com/jennybut want us to host the content on another web server and not involve their developers
- It's been a while since I've worked with servers and WordPress
My plan is:
- Buy some webspace (e.g. on CloudWays) and install WordPress on it to host a few pages
- Have our agency's client set up a reverse proxy from their subdirectory (
example.com/jenny) to our server's IP address (e.g. 86.7.53.09)
- CloudWays includes 1-click install of free SSL certificates (e.g. Let's Encrypt)
Problem and question is:
- Is this going to work?
- Will we even be able to set up an SSL certificate on an IP address without a domain name and then have it work with our client's domain name?
I'm concerned that the certificates will change as the user goes from the main site to our subdirectory and they'll get a notification in their browser, or they will cause a conflict.