I currently developed a new website. The website is plain html. How can I host this website on my own computer. My computer is always connected to the Internet. How can I host my website on my computer and give it a domain name which will be known to everyone outside using the Internet?
I would only recommend this if you are having low usage/visitors or a very fast internet connection.
All you need to do is install a web server such as Apache or IIS and copy all the HTML files to the root directory of the webserver.
Then, make sure you forward port 80 from your router to the machine.
I wrote a bigger guide on Superuser. Link.
There are a few more steps involved, but I hope this puts you on the right track. This is not really a "Pro Webmaster" question.
first of all, you should be aware your computer needs to be on all the time. As soon as you shut down your computer, your site goes down.
That said here's how to do it: 1) First check with your ISP if you have a fixed IP address, a dynamic IP wont work. After that check with your ISP if they allow hosting sites. Some dont.
2) Download any web server like the Apache server, if you are on Ubuntu, here's a simple tutorial to do it
3) After installing copy all your files in the www folder or htdocs whichever is there.
4) Put it online, on linux it will already be...
5) Point your domain name to your fixed IP address and redirect ports if necessary.
6) It should work. Just recommend you to take some book or professional tutorial before doing that on a production site. If you are just trying, experiment with it.
Just one advice, take a hosting, its better because the servers are handled by professional companies and have almost 100% uptime guarantee. Also in the long term they will be cheaper because you will incur high electricity and internet costs in your home hosting.
Hope that helped you.