I have a SEO question: I have a celebrity niched site that I used to post to all the time and it was up to 4,000+ uniques a day from Google traffic (2 years ago), but I have't posted any new content to that site in basically 2 years and the dailies have dropped all the way down to 150. Crazy drop... I just hired a full time writer and am wondering if I should revamp / post to my old site, or if I should just create a fresh new site.
Advantage of using old site:
- It has site age of about 4 years.
- It has a lot of old content.
- Would posting new content possibly make the old content re-rank in the search engines?
Disadvantage of using old site:
- I wonder if the new content won't rank well because I haven't posted in 2 years the traffic dropped off so much? Has the site's reputation been tarnished?
Advantage of using new site:
- It's a fresh start and I can create good reputation to search engines. I can establish to the search that new content will consistently be posted.
Disadvantage of using new site:
I don't want to repeat the same thing where there's a spike in traffic for a while then it drops off if I lose interest.
What approach do you believe offers the most upside? Also, please explain some legitimate pros / cons of each approach. I believe I addressed my concerns, I'm just not 100% sure on SEO fact / fiction. Ideas?