A friend's domain is registered with 123reg. The nameservers point to Host A, who currently host the website and provide Exchange email. He would like me to keep the website with Host A, but change the email to use 123reg's service.
I think this means that I need to:
- Update the nameservers to use the 123reg default
- Update the DNS to direct the website to Host A, and the mail to Host B
- Set the MX records to use 123reg default email
But I'm worried about getting it wrong and bringing the website down, are those 3 steps above correct?
If I do that, how do I point the DNS records for the website to Host A? Is it adding these two
A records to the DNS:
- Set Destination IP value to Host A's IP address, and the Hostname value to 'www'
- Set Destination IP value to Host A's IP address, and leave the Hostname value blank (for non-www access to the site)
Current DNS, for reference:
Here is the current DNS setup on 123reg.
I think this is currently not active because the nameservers are pointing elsewhere.