In last 15 months, our website have undergone 3 major structural changes. Due to which we had to create thousands of 301 redirects. We used to retain number 1 slot in Google SERP, but in past 14 months our rankings has fallen substantially and it is still falling. Currently our average position has come down to number 6 from number 1. All of our competitors in various range of keywords are lacking substantially in SEO factors.
Just to give you a brief idea:
- We are way better in on page seo factors
- We are better in technology parameters like AMP, better load speed, better mobile compatibility, etc.
- We have high number of backlinks and many links coming from high authority websites.
We have spend a lot of time in our SEO efforts in past 1 year but we are not able to regain our top position. And as we are seems to be better in all SEO factors, only thing which we could think is something bad has happened due to structural changes of our website.
Following are major structural changes that we made in past 15 months.
- We changed url structure of around 2500 urls of our website. So we did 301 redirect of old url to new url
- We have ecommerce website, and in it we were having around 100,000 product pages. But there was not much difference in these product pages. Because we used to have different product page for each city in which we are serving with only one change from other city and that is price of product. Rest all information of product used to remain same. We thought that this could be a problem of duplicate pages, so we merged all these product pages and this count came down to 5,000 from 100,000. All old 100,000 were made 301 redirect to new pages.
- There were around 1000 more pages, which were no longer relevant so we made them 301 redirect to home page.
Following is the info visible in new Google Webmasters > Index Coverage > Excluded Tab
Currently webmaster tools shows 4800 pages indexed. And we have around 110,000 urls in 301 redirect. Please suggest what could be going wrong for us.