I frequently see variations on the following when I'm browsing on mobile devices:

Android screenshot

I have two questions regarding the Read More element:

  1. What is the official name for this design technique?
  2. Why do it? It appears that the full text of the page is loading anyway so it's not a bandwidth saver.

1 Answer 1

  1. This is called an ellipsis. It's a Greek word which essentially means "truncating text."

  2. In situations where the entire text of the article is loaded anyway, the primary purpose for the ellipsis is to get their advertiser's ads closer to the top of the screen. And if you accidentally click on the ads when trying to "read more" I'm sure they don't mind.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.