I'm new to Google Shopping. We have been required to use GTIN number for our products. I understand this GTIN number has to be unique. But is it enough to be unique for only our products. Or it has to be a unique value in the world??
Each complete GTIN is unique for the whole world.
A GTIN is a Global Trade Item Number. There are several types of GTIN, including
- Universal Product Code (UPC), common in North America
- International Article Number (IAN), common in Europe and Japan
- International Standard Book Number (ISBN)
Typically a particular type of GTIN has 4 parts,
- a "group indicator" (typically indicating the country a national registration agency is in),
- a "manufacturer code" (typically a number that the business buys from a national registration agency for a small fee; the agency makes sure each business in that country gets a unique number.),
- a "product code" (the manufacturer is responsible for making sure each of its kinds of products gets a different product code), and
- a checksum.
This way each kind of product can be assigned a number unique across the whole world.
Some manufacturers stamp their product with not only a GTIN for that model of product, but also a serial number counting how many of that model has been manufactured.
"Some products don’t have a GTIN assigned, and so you don’t need to submit one. However, if the product does have a GTIN assigned and you don’t submit it, then the product could be disapproved." -- "Products without a GTIN"