This past weekend, I ran into a redirect problem I have never seen before.
BACKGROUND: the site is a static site that was created by the site owner in a small, remote town. She figured out HTML and CSS amazingly well, but the file structure and CSS are poorly organized. So, my main task in helping her is to reorganize both while improving SEO. As I create a directory structure and move pages into the directories, I am adding 301 redirects to the
.htaccess file. Then I test that the redirect works before removing the original file from the server.
ACTION: The first file move was to create a folder for a series of information pages about different minerals and rocks. These pages are not mission critical and made a good test. The first step was to create a directory called
MineralFinder with a file called
MineralFinderHome.html. The original file was at the root level and called
BEHAVIOR: The first redirect line worked just fine. The second - fourth lines were
Redirect 301 /aluminum http://example.com/MineralFinder/Aluminum Redirect 301 /aluminum/aluminum.htm http://example.com/MineralFinder/Aluminum/Aluminum.html Redirect 301 /aluminum/process.htm http://example.com/MineralFinder/Aluminum/HowAluminumIsProcessed.html
These caused a URL not found error:
as shown in the image. The weird thing is that it is referencing the old file name without the camel case, but keeping the new directory structure with the camel case.
TECH SUPPORT: Tech support basically said they don't know why it's a problem and to use CPanel redirects. I'm not satisfied with that answer and want to know the cause of the behavior.