What are the colon and double forward-slash ( :// ) in URIs called?

  • You don't need to explicitly clarify that it's a "forward" slash. A "slash" is a "forward slash". – MrWhite Jan 11 '17 at 22:29

There is no special name for them.

The URL specification generally describes them using symbols and just names everything around them.

  URI         = scheme ":" hier-part [ "?" query ] [ "#" fragment ]

  hier-part   = "//" authority path-abempty
              / path-absolute
              / path-rootless
              / path-empty

At one point it does say:

The authority component is preceded by a double slash

… which is as close as it gets to giving // a name.

  • 1
    ...and the first colon separates the scheme. They aren't a single entity. – MrWhite Jan 11 '17 at 22:33
  • Can we make names for them then? How about the Schemer for the colon and Lash-Lash for the two slashes? :D – I Capulet Oct 6 '20 at 16:12

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy