I am hoping to register a .UK domain name. However, I am based in the USA. What's the best procedure to get a UK address for registering the .UK extension? Are there commonly-used services that provide mailing addresses in UK for this purpose?

Also, is anyone aware of any "gotachas" that I should watch out for?


1 Answer 1


Anyone can register .uk domain names on a first-come, first-served basis, but an address for service in the United Kingdom will be required for registrants who live overseas. This address must be listed as the admin contact for your domain name. This requirement does not apply for .co.uk and .org.uk domain names. Source

So you only need a UK address for the admin contact for .UK domains. I have been working with domains for nearly 20 years and I have yet to have anyone attempt to contact me via the Admin, Billing or Tech contacts.

Given that forwarding services charge you on a usage basis, if you set up an address with one of them, it is unlikely to ever be used and if it is, then it must be really important and worth paying a few (insert currency unit here) for.

  • Any suggestions for a forwarding service that doesn't charge setup fees? Dec 30, 2016 at 3:16
  • Google is your friend...
    – Steve
    Dec 30, 2016 at 3:18
  • Yes I know... just wondering if you had any personal recommendations that were already tried and tested. Dec 30, 2016 at 3:23
  • Nope, never done it, have nothing to do with the UK, just did some research ;o)
    – Steve
    Dec 30, 2016 at 3:53

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.