I have a really odd 301 redirect failing issue that I can't seem to wrap my head around why.
I have a netscaler device with responder policies that move http traffic onto https and naked domain traffic onto www.
- They are working perfectly on Windows desktop devices through Chrome and Firefox.
- They are working perfectly on mobile devices tethered to Wi-Fi.
- They are working perfectly on mobile devices on 4G with Sprint and T-Mobile.
They are completely failing on AT&T 4G.
I have tested this with a multitude of Android devices and iOS devices on AT&T and all exhibit the same issues: a 504 response. Here is the output which I got by tethering my phone to my PC and firing up Fiddler.
GET http://thedomain.org/ HTTP/1.1 Host: thedomain.org User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:49.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/49.0 Accept: text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,*/*;q=0.8 Accept-Language: en-US,en;q=0.5 Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate Cookie: REDACTED Connection: keep-alive Upgrade-Insecure-Requests: 1 HTTP/1.1 504 Fiddler - Receive Failure Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2016 22:20:27 GMT Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8 Connection: close Cache-Control: no-cache, must-revalidate Timestamp: 16:20:27.867 [Fiddler] ReadResponse() failed: The server did not return a complete response for this request. Server returned 0 bytes.
I obviously have begun the process of speaking with AT&T about this, but has anyone any suggestions at all as to why this may be occurring? My whole team is stumped at present.
UPDATE 11/11 09:30
So these were the exact issues we were experiencing yesterday
DOES NOT WORK FOR THE AT&T SUBSCRIBERS WE’VE SEEN SO FAR:
- Opening the Android stock web browser specifically and typing into the address bar: thedomain.org
- Opening the Android stock web browser specifically and typing into the address bar: www.thedomain.org
- Opening any web browser on mobile and typing into the address bar: http://www.thedomain.org
- Opening any web browser on mobile and typing into the address bar: http://thedomain.org
- Opening any web browser on mobile and typing into the address bar: https://thedomain.org
The network provider was quick to blame AT&T. However!
They added a rule for the last use case which was failing on all networks to redirect https://thedomain.org to https://www.thedomain.org and lo and behold it also fixed the rule for AT&T users. I still don't know why yet, I am guessing some kind of refreshing of the rules in netscaler fixed the issue on the load balancing device, but as I stated to them, I'd take a fix over an explanation in the short term.
If simply re-applying the rest of the rules is the fix, I will update this with an answer.