What topics can I ask about here?
Pro Webmasters Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for professional and enthusiast webmasters focused on how to operate websites. Questions here are commonly about
- search engine optimization (SEO)
- internet marketing
This site is for anything that relates to owning, running, or administering your own website.
There are some types of questions about running websites that don't belong on this site:
- System and network administration -- Server Fault participants are much more likely to know the technical details on topics such as DNS and Apache configuration than people who answer questions here.
- Web sites out of your control -- If the question is about another site (such as Gmail or Facebook) and not about your own website, it is off-topic here. Web Applications would be a better place to ask.
- Usage of web browsers and other software -- Super User is available for questions about how to use software in ways that are not directly related to running your own website.
- Content management systems (CMSs) -- There are specific Stack Exchange sites for several CMSs. Use those sites for Craft CMS, Drupal, Expression Engine, Joomla, Magento, Salesforce, SharePoint, Tridion, or WordPress. Questions about other CMSs may be asked here on Pro Webmasters.
- Recommendations for sites and resources -- Questions that ask for recommendations of external websites or resources attract lots of self promotion and spam answers. In addition, answers to such questions quickly become out of date. Such questions are closed as off-topic.
- Specific to only your site - If the answers to your question could only apply to your site, it is probably not a good fit for Pro Webmasters. For example, we would close questions such as "What am I doing wrong here?" or "Please review my site."
- Topics with a "catch all" question and answer -- Many topics are covered by a question with a comprehensive answer. Other questions about the topic are marked as duplicate. Some examples from the list of catch-all questions are:
For more help, see What types of questions should I avoid asking?
If your question is not specifically on-topic for Pro Webmasters Stack Exchange, it may be on topic for another Stack Exchange site. If no site currently exists that will accept your question, you may commit to or propose a new site at Area 51, the place where new Stack Exchange communities are democratically created.