|visits||member for||1 year, 4 months|
|seen||Nov 6 '12 at 16:23|
Long-time OSS user/admin, intermediate coder - I heart python. Master of Science in Molecular Medicine, many years' experience in biotech working with antibodies and cell-based assays. Science and computer geek. Dad.
Do you love Sublime Text? Looking for a color scheme that looks good in lots of languages and takes advantage of as many scopes as possible? Check out Neon Color Scheme, available through Package Control and hosted on GitHub. Also works great in TextMate and TextMate 2 - instructions in the README.
Looking for a great Linux hosting provider geared toward developers with shell access, a bunch of ready-to-deploy apps, and awesome tech support? Check out WebFaction, my favorite alternative to the big hosting beasts. They run CentOS 6 x64, have datacenters around the world, and have a full suite of regularly-updated development and deployment tools. And did I mention they're cheap? My basic plan with 512MB RAM, 100GB disk, and 600 GB bandwidth/month is just US$8.50/mo! (if you prepay for a full year - US$102). Check out all these other features:
- Full control over shell access (multi-user capability), email, and DNS.
- Extensive, searchable, useful documentation.
- Python, Ruby/Rails, PHP, Java, Perl, shell scripts...
- Ability to install whatever software tools you need, and execute long-running processes.
- nginx and Apache, MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQLite, MongoDB...
- "One-click" (actually, several clicks and some typing) installers for a whole bunch (and different versions) of popular applications like Django, Rails, WordPress, Joomla, Drupal, Git, Redmine, and more.
- and a ton of other stuff. Just follow the link!
I honestly don't know of any other hosting provider that has a similar product, and if one exists I can't imagine it's as cheap. BTW, I don't work for them, I'm just a very satisfied customer.
I sometimes call my guinea pig (also known as a cavy) "Pigimal", which is short for "Piggy Animal." Now you know.
|bio||website||mattdmo.com||visits||member for||1 year, 4 months|
|location||near Boston||seen||Nov 6 '12 at 16:23|