What Forum Software should I use?
I need to assemble a GetSatisfaction/Lithium/Jive type support forum/community. The first is not available in the desired language and the last two are priced for the enterprise market. I did research some other options (open source or SaaS) but they all seem to be either:
- kind of dead (open source options)
- too focused in gathering ideas/feedback (uservoice)
- strictly support without the community/voting features (zendesk)
I need an open forum (people powered support/UGC with community/voting features) & Facebook/Google/Yahoo/MSN account sign-in.
Therefore I will have to do some of the work on my own. I want to piece things (plugins/mods/etc) on top of a standard forum platform to give it the features I need. For this purpose, I want to use a mature product with widespread userbase, active community and lots of plugin options. I believe most will agree that my options therefore are:
Here are the questions:
- Which one of the three above offers the easier path towards the desired goal?
- Which one of the three above has the most advanced features related to the desired goal?
Of course I dont expect anyone to know these answers cut and dry. I am hoping to hear some experiences and see some examples. Also, it would be great if both those questions had the same answer, but I am not going to get my hopes up...
PS: I wish I could add the tags "phpbb" and "smf" ;)