Webmasters Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for pro webmasters. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

How does the BBC News website create the changing colour effect you get if you roll over their most popular stories on this webpage http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12336381 (see bottom right)

share|improve this question
Care to include a screenshot of what you are pointing out? – Zack Feb 1 '11 at 19:21
I don't know what the affect is but look for it in HTML5. It doesn't work in FF3.6 but it does work in the most current version of Chrome. – Ben Hoffman Feb 1 '11 at 19:31
If webmasters.stackexchange.com/questions/8571/… is what you want, then that can either be jQuery or CSS. I think CSS is the proper way, but not 100% sure. Still a CSS-novice. – Zack Feb 1 '11 at 19:49
I think the questioner means this area i.imgur.com/xZAFJ.png. Sorry this isn't a comment but I don't have an account. [1]: – user5082 Feb 1 '11 at 20:03

At a guess they are using their own javascript library glow. It's like jquery but with wider browser support to meet their own (fairly strict) standards.

Specifically the anim function.

share|improve this answer

This can be accomplished through the use of jQuery.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.